Penny in South America

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Brazilian Soccer fever





I have found a home for the next few days with my friend Daiane, who lives in Sao Paulo. Actually, tomorrow this home is going to move to a house in Ihla Bella, an island just near Rio. Hmmmm, maybe I’ll stay a little longer…

But so far we have just been having fun hanging out, meeting her friends and watching the soccer. Yesterday was Brazil vs. Ghana. Now I have to say that I do have a strong loyalty towards any African country that gets anywhere in the World Cup but announcing this to a pub full of Brazilians did not seem a wise idea. So when a reporter from a very popular radio station came up to me (at my friend’s prompting) and said, “You’re from South Africa, which is in Africa as Ghana is… who are you supporting today?” I felt like a martyr on trial. Luckily I got away with a cute little smile, a shrug and the attempt at not understanding his perfect English.

Anyway, the game was great and the party was even better. There was a live samba band there, complete with Sambistas, the BEAUTIFUL Brazilian dancers who really know how to shake it. The afternoon was danced away until we could barely stand up.


On Saturday, I will whole-heartedly be shouting for Brazil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home