Penny in South America

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Iguazu




Armed with company (my friend Matt from Cuenca), I headed to view the infamous Iguazu Falls in a far better mood. And if I hadn’t been in a good mood I soon would have been because this place is just about as tranquilo as you can get when dealing with crowds of Disney-Land proportions.

We spent the first day on the Argentinean side where you can get really close to the falls. Just walking through the park was really, really pleasant. Finally arriving at the Devil’s Throat, the main part of the Falls was just incredible. It’s something that words really don’t do justice to, and neither do the photographs, so I won’t say too much. But the water – the sight, the sound, the power- was so intense it gave me a headache to look at it.

We had planned our day as anyone in Argentina then would have, around the soccer game that afternoon, and arrived just in time to enjoy the game with our steak. The rejoicing that ran through the sleepy little town of Puerto Iguazu after that game gave us the perfect ending to the day and a great note to leave Argentina on.

Another bus trip, another border and a dodgy hotel later, we spent our second day on the Brazilian, “bigger picture” side of the falls before heading up north to Sao Paulo for me and Rio for Matt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home